If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In India, we make the kebabs with Paneer, an Indian Cheese which is high in protein and fat, similar to Tofu. I like Tofu in non Indian dishes for its light and bland taste.
Grill is not a common sight in India, at least, was not while growing up. I remember my mom directly placing any vegetables on fire and roasting them to bring out the smoky flavors. One of my favorites is corn, roasted directly on the flame, rub with lemon juice and sprinkle sea salt. I have experimented this dish a few times- in the oven, shallow frying in a pan and placing on direct flame and I liked best when cooked in an oven and then broil for a couple of minutes.
- 10 Wooden Skewers
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Red Onions
- 14 ounces Extra firm block of Tofu
- 1 cup Coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon inch fresh ginger root, peeled
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Oil to grease
- Cut green pepper and 1 onion into similar sized pieces, preferably into 1 inch cubes Chop the other onion into coarse pieces; Set aside
- Drain the water in the tofu packet. Cut the Tofu squares into 1 inch cubes.
- In a blender, combine cilantro, mint, onion, garlic, cumin seeds, ginger with a 1/4 cup water. Add water as necessary and blend to a smooth paste. Do not make the mixture runny.
- Add Salt, lemon juice and Paprika. In a bowl, add the onion, green pepper, and tofu pieces to the Coriander and Mint sauce
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours Soak wooden skewers in water for about 30 min. Preheat the oven to 400F
- Oil/Grease a baking sheet Alternately thread tofu, onion, and green pepper pieces onto the skewers.
- Bake for 6 minutes and rotating the skewers, bake an additional 6- 8 minutes. I also like to broil on Hi for 3-4 minutes. That is completely optional.
- Serve with the remaining chutney as a dip or drizzle on top
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
Recipe of the Day
Garden Mule Cocktail
Garden Mule Cocktail
Fresh beer, anywhere.
What to Do With Marjoram
How to keep produce longer.
Go play outside!