If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My husband turned vegetarian a couple of months ago and since then I have been trying to come up with lots of different marinades for tofu, as that is his favorite choice of protein. He liked this Japanese style marinade a lot and declared it to be the best of all the ones I have made for him so far. Hope you like it too! - Madhuja
Food52 Review: There is both brown sugar and honey in the tofu marinade, so I anticipated this to be a bit too sweet but it turned out great! I could eat these as a snack or in a stir fry like the author suggests. One note: so the tofu gets more color and crispness, I would fry these with less than 1/4 cup of oil. - broccolirose
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup shiro miso paste (white miso)
- 1/4 cup ponzu sauce
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Gently press the block of tofu after wrapping it in paper towels. You'll see a lot of water coming out, but make sure you don't press too hard as you don't want it to crumble. Once most of the moisture has been pressed out, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Set aside.
- Mix all the rest of the ingredients, except for the oil, in a glass bowl. Submerge the tofu pieces in the marinade and park it in the fridge for at least 24 hours to up to 48 hours (like I did). Give it a shake every now and then.
- Heat a big skillet and pour enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the pan. On medium heat add the pieces of tofu in a single layer. Be careful, it is going to splatter like crazy!! Using tongs GENTLY turn them around and fry them on all sides. Once they are nicely browned on all sides, drain them on a paper towel.
- You could have the tofu as it is, or you could use it with your favorite stir fry, on salads, in wraps or sandwiches. Enjoy!
Mom's (The) Best
Mom's Pasta e Fagioli
Pasta e Fagioli
Vegetarian Ma Po Tofu
DIY Herb Rub
Easygoing banana bread.
Go play outside!