If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Easy enough to make you feel like baking is the simplest thing in the world... healthy enough to justifiably be a smart breakfast... and delicious enough to find a reason to have a muffin at least five or six times a day.
These muffins have a jammy center and a crusty sprinkle of sugared lemon.
This recipe is adapted from "Best Blueberry Muffins" from Cook's Illustrated. —Omeletta
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 1/4 cups yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the zest: Combine lemon zest and 1/3 cup of sugar. Set aside.
- For the blueberry "jam": Heat a pat of butter in a small saucepan until melted. Add 1 cup of blueberries and 1 teaspoon sugar. Cook, mashing the berries as you go, until the berries have reduced down into a thick jam, approximately five minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Ready the muffin tin; this mixture will make about 12 regular sized muffins. If not using paper liners, spray or lightly butter the insides of each cup in the tin. Preheat the oven to 425*F.
- Whisk together sugar, flours, baking powder and salt in a small to medium bowl and set aside. Combine the eggs, butter, yogurt, vegetable oil and vanilla in a large bowl and mix well. Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet, taking care to mix out any lumps, but at the same time do not overmix the batter. Fold in one cup of blueberries and stir to combine. Pour this batter into prepared muffin tins- each cup should be full of batter, coming up just slightly over the edge.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins have turned golden brown
A Piece of Beauty
Meet Mosser Glass
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
The best vegan cookbook tips.
It's time to travel.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Put cake on a pedestal.