If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Famous Canyon Rim II rolls—so light, so flavorful you will use for every special occasion. At least, that’s what we do! The secret is the smaller amount of yeast and the long raising time. Don’t hurry this one; take all the time suggested. Many in my community are requested to make thee rolls for their family Thanksgiving gatherings. - dianne
Makes 32 crecent shaped rolls
- 1 packet yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk, heated
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast and 1 Tbs sugar in warm water; set aside (yeast will start to foam).
- Scald milk and then add 1/2 cup (1 cube) butter immediately; cool to lukewarm. No substitute for butter.
- In electric mixer bowl (using paddle attachment), beat eggs. Add lukewarm milk/butter mixture, sugar, salt and 2 cups of the flour. Stir in, then beat well for 2 minutes.
- Now add all of the yeast/water mixture; beating well. Continue adding the remaining 2 & 1/2 cups flour. You may add up to 1/2 cup more flour: NO MORE. Dough ill be sticky. Trust the recipe. Don’t be tempted to add more flour!
- Cover and let rise 5 to 6 hours. (Although you can hurry the rising process, don’t do it. The long rising period allows the yeast to develop with the desired flavor.)
- Then turn out on lightly floured board and with floured hands knead lightly to punch down; cover surface of dough with flour so you can handle it. (You may add up to 1/2 cup flour to facilitate handling.) Divide dough in half.
- Working with one half of dough at a time, roll each into a circle about 1/8 inch thick by 16 inches diameter. Brush surface with melted butter. (It may gake up to an additional cube of butter, melted, to finish the recipe.) Cut each half of rolled-out dough into 16 pie-shaped pieces. (A pizza cutter works very well.) Roll each cut triangle from wide end to pointed to loosely form a crescent. Place pointed end down. Now place each crescent on buttered or parchment-covered cookie sheet. Do not crowd. Brush surface again with melted butter. (Use 2 cookie sheets; fit 16 uncrowded rolls on each cookie sheet.)
- Let rise at moderate-to-cool-room temperature (uncovered) 5 to 6 hours. That's right, trust the recipe. When time for dinner, bake rolls about 10 minutes in 350° preheated oven, or until lightly golden brown. Makes 32 rolls. The Yeasty/bread baking aroma fills your kitchen! To complete the experience, offer Orange Honey butter to accompany hot rolls. It is worth your effort.
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!