If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by a traditional Indian dessert, this is a deliciously creamy cardamom-scented ice cream, swirled with sweetened carrots, whole roasted pistachios and a hint of saffron on the finish. —Varsha Seetharam
- 3 cups Shredded Carrots
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter or Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- One pinch Saffron (generous pinch)
- 0.25 cups Condensed Milk
- 0.5 pounds Raw Pistachios
- 1/4 cup Sugar (white)
- Dry roast the shelled pistachios at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes (or used roasted, unsalted pistachios).
- Heat 2 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee and add shredded carrots. Cook 5-7 minutes, till carrots are softer and tender.
- Add milk, sugar, condensed milk, cardamom and saffron and reduce to medium heat, stirring frequently so milk does not burn. Cook till most of the moisture has evaporated and consistency of a thick pudding, stirring frequently, ~20 minutes. Allow to cool while preparing ice cream base.
For the ice cream
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1.25 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1.5 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1.25 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup Sugar (white)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- Mix about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry.
- Whisk the cream cheese, cardamom and salt in a medium bowl until smooth and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water and set aside.
- Combine remaining milk, the cream, sugar and corn syrup in a 4-quart saucepan, bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a heatproof spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture until smooth. Pour the mixture into a 1-gallon zipper freezer bag, seal and submerge the sealed bag in the ice bath. Let stand, adding more ice as necessary, until mixture is cold, about 30 minutes.
- Combine the ice cream mixture with carrot mixture and add to ice cream maker. Process according to manufacturer’s instructions, adding in the roasted pistachios during the last 5 minutes of churning.
- Freeze at least four hours. Ice cream based on Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
All Tied Up
The 4 knots you should know
The knots you should know.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
This week's #happylist.
Have a ball (jar).