If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ice cream is a food near and dear to me, it is my favorite food. My very first job was scooping ice cream and I worked hard to move up from 'conehead' to 'fountain girl'. Those two summers I literally lived on ice cream. The kids got me an ice cream maker 2 summers ago for my birthday. I'm still a little unclear who the gift was for exactly. :) But I just love throwing whatever is around in and seeing what happens. This one turned out very well. - Summer of Eggplant
- 2 cups cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1.5 ounces Cointreau
- 2 cups cherries, pitted, roughly chopped and juices reserved
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, finely zested
- Combine the milk and the cream and 1/2 of the sugar and bring to a boil. Meanwhile whisk together the egg yolks and the remaining sugar until thick.
- Temper the eggs with 1/3 the hot milk mixture, whisking until combined.
- Return the mixture to the milk mixture and continue to heat while stirring until it can coat the back of a wooden spoon, add in vanilla. Remove from the heat and strain the mixture in to a bowl over an ice bath.
- Let cool and store in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Pit 2 cups of cherries and roughly chop them, reserving the residual juices. When the custard is ready place it, the Cointreau, and the orange zest in an ice cream maker and process per the instructions. Just prior to finishing, add in the cherries and any juices they produced when chopped, process until blended, place in a container and freeze or just serve. I prefer it fresh out of the ice cream maker.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.