If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The reason what makes it so supremely Belgian is because the ice cream contains malty dark Belgian beer, plenty of chocolate and Belgian's most famous cookie, Biscoff! I created this recipe for the Brooklyn Ice Cream Takedown in July of this year, in which I placed first in the judges choice and 3rd in the people's choice. —Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Makes 1 1/2 quarts
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped, bean reserved
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4 ounces 60% dark chocolate
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces dark Belgian beer (such as Delirium Nocturnum
- 5 ounces shaved dark chocolate
- crushed Biscoff cookies
- Heat the milk, sugar, salt, vanilla seeds and bean on medium heat until sugar is dissolved in a medium pot.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder then turn off the heat and add the chocolate. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to melt, then stir to combine completely.
- Set up an ice bath with a medium mixing bowl set on top and the cream and beer together. Place a strainer on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks and drizzle a little of the warm chocolate milk in.
- Turn the remaining chocolate milk in the medium pot on low heat and very slowly drizzle the egg yolks in, constantly whisking and scraping the bottom of the pot. As you drizzle the eggs yolks, you will see the custard begin to thicken.
- Cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute after you finish adding the egg yolks.
- Strain the custard into the cream and let cool completely. This can be done ahead of time and left in an air tight container in the refrigerator. If making ice cream right away, churn in your ice cream maker for 30-35 minutes until light and creamy.
- Transfer to a container and in alternating layers, add the ice cream then some shaved chocolate and crushed Biscoff, more ice cream and so on. Freeze until solid and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
Tennessee Whiskey Is the Tops
Plus, a blackberry cocktail to drink all season long
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Just for the halibut.
The zucchini spaghetti of Italy.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.