Author Notes: An ode to my mother’s bridge party foods, a salad, with antipasto inclinations. Serve on small plates, with toothpicks, if you want. Add anything to this salad that appeals to you, or is languishing in half filled jars in the back of the refrigerator. Marinated artichoke hearts. Pickled peppers. Anchovies. Fried capers. - MrsWheelbarrow
Serves 4, for lunch
- 4 thick slices of Italian bread
- 2 cups cubed salami
- 1 cup cubed Bel Paese or Provolone cheese
- 8 caperberries
- 1 medium sweet heirloom tomato
- 1-2 tablespoon red wine vinegar, depending on your taste
- 1/4 cup young green olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated on a rasp
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix together all the salad ingredients.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a small jar. Shake well.
- Dress the salad and toss gently, so the bread is not broken up. Allow it to sit, unrefrigerated, for a few minutes, just to get the vinaigrette into all the nooks and crannies. Then serve.