If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe (including photos) was recently published on my blog www.52scoops.com. Making a black forest cake from scratch is quite the undertaking. Chocolate shortcrust pastry. Chocolate sponge cake. Cherry filling. Freshly whipped cream. Shaved chocolate curls. But black forest ice cream is a cinch! This recipe takes about 20 minutes of prep time. If you love chocolate and cherries as much as I do, you must try this recipe! Want the full story? Details at http://52scoops.com/2012/08/09/black-forest-ice-cream-22/ —52scoops
Makes 1.5 l
Ultra Decadent Chocolate Ice Cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3.75 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons kirsch
Boozy Cherry Compote
- 3 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Being with the ice cream. In a heavy saucepan, combine the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Whisk in the eggs.
- Very slowly, whisk in 2 3/4 cups of the half-and-half. It should start off like a chocolate paste, then end up like thick chocolate syrup.
- Cook the mixture over medium-low heat stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (170 degrees F / 77 degrees C).
- Remove from heat immediately and add the remaining 1 cup of the half-and-half to stop the cooking. Place the saucepan into an ice bath to cool the custard rapidly.
- Stir in the kirsch.
- Chill overnight in the fridge.
- While the ice cream is chilling, prepare the cherry compote. Combine the cherries, sugar, and water in a non-reactive saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cherries soften. This should take about 7 minutes.
- Mix the kirsch and cornstarch in a small bowl to create a slurry. Add to the cherries. Cook for another minute, until the compote thickens slightly.
- Cool and chill overnight in the fridge. Don’t worry, the compote will thicken up.
- To finish, pour the custard into an ice cream maker and prepare according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spread a quarter of the ice cream into a chilled dish. Spoon 1/3 of the compote in random dollops onto the ice cream. Repeat another two times (3 layers of ice cream, 3 layers of compote). Top with the remaining quarter of the ice cream.
- Chill thoroughly in the freezer until firm.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).