If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What's not to love about rice stewed in coconut milk and tomato sauce. This is to Nigeria what Turkey is to the rest of the world (at Thanksgiving and Christmas)! Each family has their own version, and no celebration - wedding, babay naming, christmas...is complete without it! —Kitchen Butterfly
- 2 tablespoons of coconut/vegetable oil
- 6 medium-sized fresh tomatoes/ a 400g tin of tomatoes
- 3 medium sized onions (1sliced thinly, 2 blended)
- ½ or less of fresh chili (yellow is my favourite!), to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 stock cube
- 500g Basmati or long grain rice 6 teacups, rinsed and drained (I prefer Basmati; I don’t use easy cook rice)
- 400ml water or stock (vegetable, chicken or meat)
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional - mixed herbs, curry powder and dried thyme
- In a blender, blend tomatoes, 2 onions and chili pepper; till smooth. This will take about 2 minutes, pulsing in a blender
- In a large pan, heat oil and add sliced onion; stir-fry for 1-2 minutes; add blended tomato mixture, tomato puree, curry, thyme and season with salt. Stir on medium heat for 10-12 minutes so the mix cooks and the raw taste of the tomatoes is gone.
- If using, add water/stock and coconut milk. Stir well, season to taste and add rice. Stir again. Cover pan and bring to the boil.
- When it comes up to the boil, add butter, stir again and turn down the heat – letting the rice steam for another 15-20 minutes, or till cooked (depending on how you like your rice). If rice is getting too dry, add some more stock or water, stir gently and leave to cook.
- When it’s cooked, take off heat and remove the cover of the pot. Put a tea cloth over the top and leave till ready to serve.
- Variations: For kids - omit the chili and add 2 large carrots (peeled and roughly grated) and 1-2 cups of cooked (lean) minced meat in step 2
- Garnish with slices of green peppers and cilantro (coriander) leaves. Serve with fried plantain (dodo)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish
Go Greek (Yogurt)
The secret to lighter, tangier whipped cream
Yogurt whipped cream: your new go-to.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.