If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the Netherlands, they are called 'Bakbanan' - baking bananas. In Nigeria, we call them Plantains, cousin to the banana! We have them in a variety of ways, one of the most popular being deep fried, called Dodo (and no....no relation to the bird by the same name!). It is a popular accompainment to Jollof Rice, is eaten on its own with eggs, tomato sauce or tomato-sauced blackeyed beans. We love it —Kitchen Butterfly
- 500 ml vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 ripe (yellow - brown) plantain, peeled
- Put oil in a pan and heat on medium
- While oil is heating, slice your plantain - on the diagonal, in rounds or diced. Salt if you like
- To check the readiness of your oil, put a slice of fresh onion. Once it browns, the oil is hot enough. Gently lower the plantain slices in and fry.
- When the underside is brown, turn over and let the other side brown till pieces are golden all over
- Remove from heat,, turn oil off and place in colander/sieve to drain
- Serve on its own - with scrambled eggs for breakfast, or with a tomato sauce or with Jollof rice.
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
DIY Nutter Butters.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
Just shrub it off.