If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This ice cream is fragrant and complex, but still satisfying on a hot day. I previously published a version of this recipe at http://heightseats.com/2009/09/orange-sage-and-honey-ice-cream/. —Heights Eats
Food52 Review: This is an intensely aromatic ice cream that reminds me of fall with its strong sage notes. The sage pairs really well with the orange. Note that as the ice cream ripens in the freezer, the flavor of the sage gets even stronger. The sweetness from the honey is balanced out by the herbal sage, making this one of the most savory desserts I have ever had.
Makes 1 quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sage leaves
- 6-8 large strips orange peel (from one whole orange)
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch. In a separate large bowl, whisk the cream cheese and salt until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining milk with the heavy cream, sugar, corn syrup and honey. Bring the milk mixture to a boil and cook over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. Off the heat, gradually whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil and cook over moderately high heat until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese until smooth. Add the chopped sage and orange peel. Let steep 20 minutes.
- Strain the ice cream base into another bowl, pressing the sage leaves and orange peel with the back of a spoon to extract all of the flavor. Cover and chill, then churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a container and freeze until firm.
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.