If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There are no eggs in this ice cream. None at all. Instead I used gelatin as a stabilizer. It thickens the ice cream, gives it great body and mouthfeel and keeps it from melting too quickly when you are scooping or from freezing too hard when stored in the freezer for a long time. And most of all I like the fact that there is no Ice Cream maker involved. I learned this technique while watching Giada De Laurentiis making “Tahitian Ice Cream” and used it to make my favorite, Coffee Ice Cream. - Kukla
Serves 6 to 8
- • 1 teaspoon gelatin
- • 1/2 cup water
- • 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules
- • 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- • 3/4 cup sugar
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1 cup coconut milk
- • 1/4 cup coffee liqueur (Kahlua)
- • 1/2 cup toasted Hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Place ½ cup water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and allow softening, about 5 minutes. Add coffee. Stir the water mixture over medium heat until the gelatin has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the cream until starts to thicken using an electric hand mixer in a medium bowl. Add the sugar and continue to beat until the cream holds soft peaks (about 2 minutes). Add the vanilla and then the coffee and gelatin mixture, coconut milk and Kahlua liqueur. Beat until thick and light.
- Pour the mixture into an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish. Freeze until the mixture is the texture of soft ice cream, about 2 ½ hours. When ready to serve, scoop into serving bowls using an ice cream scoop. Garnish with toasted hazelnuts and serve. Freeze any unused ice cream in an airtight container.
- If freezing the ice cream for longer than 2 ½ hours, allow the ice cream to stand at room temperature until softened, about 20 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream