If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What is pie without ice cream? This is the best of both worlds. The apple cider with the addition of cinnamon makes this delicious ice cream taste like a heavenly slice of apple pie. The ice cream tastes best with fresh apple cider from a farmer's market, but still works well with 100% apple juice from your local grocer.
This ice cream was inspired by the cool, crisp autumn mornings in Ohio. There is nothing better than a warm (or cold) mug of apple cider on a chilly fall day. This recipe uses the ice cream base from Jeni Britton Bauer's cookbook Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home. —rewerbh
Makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Mix 2 Tbsp. of the 2 cups of milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a slurry. Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a medium bowl until smooth. Mix together the milk, cream, corn syrup, sugar, and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Bring the apple cider to a boil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Boil for 10 minutes over medium heat, or until the apple cider has been reduced by one-half. Remove from heat, and slowly stir in the milk and cream mixture. Bring the mixture back to a rolling boil and boil for 4 minutes over medium-high heat. Immediately remove from heat and whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium-high heat and stir with heat-proof spatula until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and gradually whisk the hot milk mixture and vanilla extract into the cream cheese until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a gallon size Ziploc bag and place into ice bath for about 30 minutes or until cold.
- Pour the ice cream base into the frozen ice cream freezer bowl and spin until thick and creamy. Pack the ice cream into a container with an air tight light. Fold in the walnut pralines. Freeze in freezer until ice cream is firm.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Using a wooden sppon, heat the sugars and cream in a saucepan over medium high heat. Once the mixture is boiling, stir in the walnuts, cinnamon, and butter. Without stirring, continue to heat until the temperature of the mixture reaches 240 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir mixture until it can be easily poured. Pour onto greased cookie sheet and cool until hardened. Break apart into small pieces.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
More Great Recipes: Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.