If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is such a perfect blend of sweet, savory and salty! Absolutely delicious! —em-i-lis
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot bulb, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon good-quality Balsamic vinegar
- 1 puff pastry, defrosted (I use Dufour)
- 1/2 pound fresh figs, washed, trimmed and sliced into fourths
- 3 slices bacon, fried, drained on paper towels and crumbled
- 3 ounces Valdeon (or a similar blue cheese), crumbled
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a 8x12" rimmed baking sheet with parchment and set aside. In a 10" skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions, shallots and salt and sprinkle with the salt. Turn the heat to medium and stir the combine everything. Cook slowly for 15-20 minutes until the onions and translucent and very soft, lowering the heat to medium-low if need be to keep them from browning.
- When they're nice and soft, add the Balsamic vinegar and stir to combine. Return the heat to medium-high'ish to evaporate excess liquid. Once the skillet is pretty much dry, remove from heat and using a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to a mixing bowl.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the puff pastry until it's roughly 10x14. Invert it over the parchment-lined baking sheet and pour in about 3/4 of your reserved onion/shallot mixture. Spread them out evenly and sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Sprinkle that with crumbled cheese and then with the sliced figs, making sure everything is evenly dispersed. Pour over the rest of the onions and fold the excess puff pastry up around the sides.
- Slide the baking sheet into the oven and bake for roughly 30 minutes, give or take a couple based on how hot your oven cooks. Remove to a cooling rack and slice into 6 squares after 5-10 minutes. Grind fresh ground pepper over the top. Serve with a peppery arugula salad!!
Our Recent Favorite Recipes
Spaghetti! Pork chops! Croissants!
Our recent favorite recipes.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).