If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fresh peach ice cream is one of my favorite summer desserts. This recipe is made with ripe local Rosa peaches paired with Tahitian vanilla beans and a hint of almond. You save the pits and skins and use them in the custard base to help develop a more intense peach flavor. This recipe is adapted from "Lee Bailey's Country Desserts." —Judy's Culinaria
Makes 1 generous quart
- 5 ripe Rosa peaches (save skins and pits)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond emulsion or extract
- Peel and chop peaches. Place in a food processor and purée until smooth.
- Measure out 2 cups purée and add lemon juice to it. Cover and place in the refrigerator. (You will have extra purée that you do not need for this recipe.)
- Save the pits and skins and place them in a 5-quart stockpot. Add heavy cream and milk to the skins and pits. Then scrape the vanilla seeds into the cream and add the pod. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered on medium heat, then lower the heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to help infuse the cream with peachy flavor.
- Add sugar and cook 2 minutes until sugar has dissolved.
- Beat the egg yolks. Remove 1/2 c. of the hot cream mixture and whisk into the eggs to temper them. Add the eggs to the hot cream and cook 2 minutes or until the custard coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove custard from heat. Place custard with pits, skins, and vanilla bean in a glass 1-quart measuring cup.
- Add vanilla and almond emulsion and stir.
- Place plastic wrap directly on custard surface and chill 3-4 hours.
- Strain custard, then add peach purée and stir.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.