If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have adapted a frozen yogurt recipe by Merrill, adding a swirl of syrup I fold into the frozen yogurt. We like our frozen yogurt on the tart side, and so enjoy the flavor of Greek yogurt in the base. - Bevi
Makes 1 quart
For the Fruity Lemon Verbena Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large peach
- 1 handful fresh blueberries
- 1 large sprigs lemon verbena
- Make the syrup. Combine the water and the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to a simmer. Place the lemon verbena sprig in the syrup to steep. Place the peach in the syrup and gently poach for about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift the peach out of the syrup. Plunge the peach in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Set the peach aside to peel when it cools.
- Toss the handful of berries into the syrup and cook for about 30 seconds, until the blueberries release their aroma. Lift them out with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Continue to cook the syrup for about 10 minutes, and then set aside to cool. The syrup should be a lilac color.
For the Frozen Yogurt
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 1/2 to 2/3 cups sugar, depending on the desired tartness of the frozen yogurt
- 2 cups full fat Greek yogurt - I prefer Fage
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, or the seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean
- Place the blueberries and sugar in a large bowl and crush the blueberries until the sugar is dissolved. Add the yogurt, cream, and vanilla. Combine well.
- Process according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.
- In a plastic or paper quart container, layer the ice cream, then add a layer of the cooled syrup, then another layer of ice cream and so on. Freeze overnight. When you are ready to serve, chop or slice the poached peach atop the servings of ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream