If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For my first ever dinner party, I decided to get cute and have everyone make their own s’mores for dessert. We had a merry time toasting marshmallows over the fire in the living room’s indoor gas fireplace, and got marshmallow gunk all over the carpet. My roommates said never again. Fortunately, this ice cream is much neater.
The graham ice cream is adapted from the Momofuku Milk Bar cookbook, and the straciatella method from David Lebovitz. - MeghanVK
Makes 1 quart
- 3 cups half and half
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Heat the oven to 250. Spread the graham cracker crumbs on a sheet tray and bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk and cream until just before it hits a simmer. Add the graham cracker crumbs, milk powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk thoroughly to combine, turn off the heat, and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the milk mixture through a fine sieve, pressing on the now-mushy graham crackers to get as much of the liquid out as possible. Discard the solids. Let chill completely and freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
- While the ice cream spins, melt the chocolate over a double boiler, or in 30 second intervals in the microwave. At the last possible minute before the ice cream is done, drizzle in the chocolate in a very thin stream, with the machine still running. This will create thin shards of chocolate throughout the ice cream. If your machine doesn't allow this, stop the motor and stir by hand as you stream in the melted chocolate. If THAT doesn't work, pour a thin layer of ice cream into a freezer container, pour in some chocolate, and repeat until all of the ice cream is packed.
- Fold in the marshmallows, or layer them in as you pack the ice cream into a container. Serve with a graham cracker, marshmallow sauce, and hot fudge for the ultimate s'mores indulgence.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream