Author Notes: This coffee ice cream upgrades classic recipes in two ways. First, start with a velvety smooth coffee base to build upon. We turned to Food 52’s magical coffee recipe, which requires soaking cinnamon, dark brown sugar and coffee grinds together overnight. Second, throw a palm full of coffee grinds into your ice cream while mixing. You’d think adding grinds would create a sandy texture. Not the case. The coffee bits add just the right amount of pizzazz to contrast with the ice cream’s rich flavor. But be warned: you’ll be buzzing after a bowlful! - Cheazza
Makes 1 pint
Magical Coffee Base
- 2/3 cups coarsely ground coffee
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup magical coffee base
- 1 handful soaked ground coffee from the magical coffee base
- Put Magical Coffee Base ingredients in a jar and stir.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, strain the coffee, reserve some ground coffee.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cream and sugar until the sugar has dissolved completely and the mixture is frothy.
- Add the milk, vanilla, coffee, and ground coffee.
- Whisk until blended.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Prepare the ice cream in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream