If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Okay, the fancy-dancy French name would be "lait de poule" but chicken milk is way funnier. Adapted from the recipe for Chicken Milk in Laura Calder's French Food at Home, the eggnog custard is just asking to be churned into ice cream. I use bourbon, because that's how I roll. But feel free to use rum for a more traditional chicken milk experience. - mrslarkin
Makes enough chicken milk ice cream for a few people
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons bourbon, or rum
- Heat the cream, milk and vanilla paste in a saucepan over medium/low heat. When the mixture starts steaming, turn off the heat and let sit while you are working on the next step.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until lighter in color. Temper the eggs by stirring in a few ladle-fuls of the hot cream little by little, then pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the cream. Turn the heat to medium/low again and stir until the mixture thickens slightly. Do not boil. Remove from the heat.
- Taste for sweetness and add a little more nutmeg if you like. Stir in the bourbon. Let cool slightly. Place in the fridge until mixture is chilled.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze until hardened.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.