If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This ice-cream has a sweet, creamy, rich base with a subtle crunch from the Grape-Nuts. It's lower in sugar (stevia replaces some of the sugar) and lower in eggs, but still very high on flavour. There is a place in the city (Toronto) that makes an amazing Grape-Nuts ice cream, but because it wasn't available this summer I had to take matters in to my own hands and try to create my own. The result is fantastic! - 80twenty
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10-20 drops vanilla stevia
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- In a large bowl beat together yolks and sugar until pale yellow and thick.
- In a set over a pan of simmering water heat 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup 1% milk until warm.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining 1 cup cream, vanilla extract, 10 drops of vanilla stevia, and cornstarch until cornstarch dissolves and there are no lumps.
- Add the warm cream to the yolk mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly.
- Set the bowl with the custard over simmering water and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in cream and cornstarch mixture. Chill custard until cold. About an hour.
- Taste the custard to asses the sweetness level. If it is still not sweet enough add more stevia 2-3 drops at a time. Remember that, once chilled, the ice-cream will taste slightly less sweet.
- Add the custard to you ice-cream maker and follow the manufacturers directions. About 5 minutes before it's ready, slowly add in the Grape-Nuts.
- Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put it in freezer to harden.
- If you can wait, I'd recommend letting the ice-cream sit in the freezer overnight. The flavours develop to a more flavourful blend and the Grape-Nuts have a chance to soften a little.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.