If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I hesitated for the longest time to buy the ice cream maker attachment to my KitchenAid stand mixer.
After all, if I bought the attachment, wouldn't I be tempted to make (and eat) ice cream everyday? Who needs temptations like that? But the thought of getting to experiment with different flavor combinations seemed too irresistible. So I gave in to temptation, and I haven't looked back.
I just make a batch, my S.O. and I try it, and we find some dear cooperative souls to consume the rest. So everybody wins!
After the completion of my Banana Blueberry Bliss dessert a few weeks ago, I couldn't help but think that it would make a mighty fine ice cream--and I was right! Just make a cheesecake ice cream base, swirl in a banana/blueberry sauce, toss in some graham cracker crust chunks, and prepare for some bliss-chilled paradise!
Inspired by Sandy Smith's Cheesecake Ice Cream, from Eat Real - Sherry K-Jazzy Gourmet
Makes about 1 quart
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup , plus 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (and thawed) blueberries
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup sugar. In a food processor, add blueberries, banana and lemon juice. Pulse 5-6 times till mixture is slightly chunky. Combine blueberry banana mixture with sugar mixture in saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press into an ungreased medium ramekin and bake at 350?F for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in ramekin on a wire rack.
- In the meantime, wash food processor and place cream cheese, sour cream, half-and-half, 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla and salt in it. Process until smooth. Transfer to container with pouring spout; cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- When ice cream base has chilled, churn in ice cream maker, according to manufacturer's instructions. Break graham cracker crust into pieces and place 1/2 of them on the bottom of a freezer-safe container. Top with 1/2 of the ice cream, followed by 1/2 of the blueberry sauce. Repeat with one more layer and swirl everything together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Place sealed container in freezer to bloom for at least 3 hours. Just before serving, remove from freezer and allow to rest 5-10 minutes before scooping into bowls.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
This is poppin'.