If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To say that I've become obsessed with the whole canning/preserving process as of late would be putting it mildly. There hasn't been a day this past week that I haven't "put up" something: yesterday it was Apple Butter and Chipotle Ketchup, and today it was Cabernet Jelly and this zucchini relish. The garden is in full swing, I've got rogue zucchini coming out of the woodwork and friends who are enticing me with extras from their own gardens. As I'm desperately trying to hold onto summer, I've been working off of Liana Krissoff's "Canning For A New Generation", and I am now comfortable branching out on my own. This recipe stems from my need to use up excess zucchini from the garden; if 10 lbs. is a bit more zucchini than you have on hand, feel free to cut the recipe in half. —Cannelloni&Cayenne
Makes 8 pints
- 12 cups zucchini, about 10lbs.
- 4 onions, mix of sweet white & yellow
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar (I used coconut palm)
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 dried red chili, crushed (optional)
- Finely chop zucchini, onions, bell pepper. (I used a food processor for this time-intensive job, but feel free to do it by hand.) Combine & add salt; cover and let stand 2+ hours, or overnight.
- Drain zucchini mixture in sieve. Rinse, and allow to drain well. Squeeze out moisture (zucchini will sweat more in the pot). Transfer to large heavy saucepan/stockpot.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and allow mixture to thicken, about 5-8 minutes. Add vinegar solution to zucchini, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer 20 minutes.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath according to USDA guidelines. Here's a link if you're new to canning: http://www.freshpreserving.com/guides/IntroToCanning.pdf Let jars sit 12 hours; label and store.
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.