Author Notes: I've joked with people lately about needing to hit a CA meeting - Canners Annonymous. Here's another one for you, born out of inheriting a Cinderella pumpkin from Brad the Gardener. (If Cinderella squash is unavailable, don't fret: any winter pumpkin will do.) - Cannelloni&Cayenne
Makes 3 pints
- 12 cups Cinderella pumpkin puree, from 2 medium or 1 large pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cup sugar (coconut palm for me)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- To roast your pumpkin: Preheat oven to 400. Cut pumpkin in half, scoop out seeds and inner flesh. Cut into wedges and roast cut-side down for 40-50 minutes, or until flesh is soft. Scoop out flesh and puree.
- Turn your slow cooker on to its "low - 8 hr setting". Add pumpkin puree and the remaining ingredients; stir to combine. Place lid askew to let steam out, and stir mixture occasionally over the next 8 hours. When mixture has thickened and reduced by 1/3, remove cinnamon sticks and run immersion blender to achieve smoother texture.
- If preserving, process in a canning water bath 10 minutes. Pumpkin butter MUST NOT be stored at room temperature – even if it has been processed and vacuum sealed, store in the fridge. Will keep up to 6 months.