If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my all time favorite. what is great about this dish that you can use it as a method and dress it up for a holiday dinner (using lamb instead of chicken and add cooked chickpeas, more herbs and more dried fruits to the rice and the pomegranate seeds on top) or down for every day diner (just chicken, rice, carrot but never leave out the raisins, they give just wonderful touch). Make more rice then you think you need for serving, believe me you just continue eating it like there is no tomorrow. —Cordelia
- 6-8 chicken drumstickes or 6 bone-in chicken tights or mix of the two (use bone in pices with skin)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onion
- 2-2.5 cups julienne carrots (about 4 carrots)
- 1/2-3/4 cups rainsins (depends on how sweet you like it)
- 3 minced garlic clove
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- some chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Warm 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a wide pan that fits all the chicken pieces in one layer. Dry the chicken with paper towels and salt and pepper the pieces. When the oil almost smoking brown the chicken on both sides (about 3-5 minutes for each side).
- In the meantime peel and slice the onions either to thin slices or small dice. Peel and julienne the carrots.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and satue the carrots and onions in the fat that in the pan for about 7 minutes on medium heat, until soft (add some oil if the chicken did not render enough fat). Add the minced garlic and satue for another minute.
- Add the raisins and the chicken back. Add half a cup of water, bring to a boil and cover the pan and cook for 35 minutes on low heat.
- Take the chicken out again. Add the pine nuts and the rice. Mix with the other ingredients in the pan. Add a teaspoon and half of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Add the chicken back to the pan on top of the rice. Add 3 cups of water. The water suppose just cover the rice and a bit more, but not completely cover the chicken. Bring to a biol and cook covered on low heat for another 20 minutes. If it gets dry too quickly add a bit more water. To make sure the rice cook evenly, from time to time move the chicken a bit and mix the rice gently. take it of the heat and let it seat for 5-10 minutes.
- (If it looks wet after 20 minutes, uncover the pan and increase the heat to medium and cook for few more minutes. )
- If you are brave and you have big enough serving plate, flip the pan carefully to the plate (attach the plate to the pan, hold it in the middle with your hand-palm and flip firmly and quickly) or just arrange nicely on a plate and decorate with pomegranate seeds and parsley (optional but tasty).
- Main course and side dish already included, so all you need is to serve with green salad (which goes great with some pomegranate seeds).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.