Author Notes: Tofu gets a double hit of flavor! This recipe is as good at room temperature as it is right off the grill. I typically serve it as a 3 piece appetizer but its also a great one bite pass around item. - MVegetarian
Tofu - Marinade
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons Sambal Oelek (Asian chile paste)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cakes fresh tofu - firm
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan over low heat. When hot, remove from heat and add ginger, coriander, turmeric and garlic powder. Mix together well.
- Mix together Sambal Oelek, brown sugar and salt. Add spice mixture and stir well. Mixture will be a thick paste.
- Press tofu using either a tofu press or a plate weighted down with a couple of cans of tomatoes for 30 minutes.
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch planks. Coat tofu planks with a smooth layer of the paste. Place in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours - or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 1 hour prior to grilling. Grill until nicely grill marked - about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve hot or at room temperature - do not refrigerate. Top each tofu plank with 1 tablespoon salsa.
Peanut Mango Salsa
- 2 cups fresh mango (small dice)
- 1 roasted red pepper (small dice)
- 1/2 cup green onion - white & green parts (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons fresh Thai basil - chopped (or regular basil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint - chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno - seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts - pulsed in a food processor
- Mix all salsa ingredients together except peanuts. Refrigerate until needed.
- Mix in chopped peanuts right before serving.