If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've become obsessed with coffee cake, that mid-century pinnacle of southern hospitality that mocks my generation for not having any time to invite your next door neighbor over to have some. So I make this for my family on Sunday mornings. It's sexier than banana bread, more parsimonious than a pastry, and more interesting than pancakes. But most of all it's just gloriously delicious.
Note: I use a lot of "good vanilla" in my recipes, which to me usually means Mexican or Tahitian vanilla. I get mine once a year in Mexico, but you can also find good variations, like San Luis Rey, in upmarket grocery stores like Central Market or Whole Foods. —TRISH MURPHY
Walnut Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Banana Milk Chocolate Cake
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon good vanilla
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, roughly chopped
- 2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed well or pureed
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a Bundt pan with cooking spray, or use a loaf pan or 8"x8" glass pan.
- Combine the streusel ingredients in a small bowl and mix with a fork until crumbly and slightly moist. Add another pat of butter if needed to make it uniform in texture.
- Whisk the coconut oil and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the yogurt and vanilla and mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Fold the flour into the egg mixture in thirds, alternating with the addition of the banana puree. When all the flour is incorporated, fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top to completely cover it. Pat it down lightly with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes, then cover the cake loosely with foil and continue baking another 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Cool the cake in the pan. Slice and serve while still slightly warm.
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
Independence Day, the frozen dessert way
Ice cream, cookies, and independence.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
This pasta's mint to be.