If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's September. Fall is coming. This is my first tentative step towards acceptance. - Cannelloni&Cayenne
Makes 2 quarts
- 1 medium pumpkin (any variety will do, but my favorites are Kabocha, Galeux d'Eysines & Red Kuri)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup whole milk (or coconut milk for a richer soup)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 8 sage leaves
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger root, minced
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 salsify roots, peeled and shaved
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 400. Take pumpkin and halve, scraping out seeds. Cut into wedges and roast (cut side down) for 40-50 minutes, or until flesh is easily pierced with fork. Scrape out flesh and puree in food processor until smooth. Measure out 5 cups. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add 1 Tablespoon butter and saute carrots until tender, about 5 minutes. Add serrano pepper and sage and stir until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add pureed pumpkin, stock, cream, milk or coconut milk and remaining ingredients to saucepan. Bring to boil, and simmer 20 minutes. Puree with immersion blender, or in batches using a food processor. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes, adding more sweetness or salt/pepper to taste.
- Salsify Garnish: A quick word on salsify: It is a mild-flavored yet very tasty root vegetable that resembles a carrot. Peel off outer layer and peel in thin strips. Saute with 2 Tablespoons butter until crispy, about 5-8 minutes. Transfer to paper towel to cool. Set aside.
- Ladle individual portions; top with salsify garnish. Serve hot.