Author Notes: I've always loved greens and beans and with a vegetable crisper filled with romaine, I thought I'd give it a try with lettuce. I really like the warm bitter bite of the romaine. - inpatskitchen
Makes 2 to 3 as a side
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup cooked white beans (Great Northern or Canellini) divided
- 3 or 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Parmesan shavings for serving
- In a medium size sauce sauce pan, gently saute the garlic in the olive oil for a minute or two until fragrant. Add the chopped Romaine and give everything a stir.
- Add the salt, pepper, ground fennel and chicken broth and simmer everything for about 10 minutes.
- Mash 1/2 cup of the beans with the back of a fork and add them to the pot. Continue to simmer another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining cup of beans, stir and heat until everything is nice and warm. Stir in the basil. Serve garnished with the parmesan shavings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce