If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've always loved greens and beans and with a vegetable crisper filled with romaine, I thought I'd give it a try with lettuce. I really like the warm bitter bite of the romaine. - inpatskitchen
Makes 2 to 3 as a side
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans (Great Northern or Canellini) divided
- 3 or 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Parmesan shavings for serving
- In a medium size sauce sauce pan, gently saute the garlic in the olive oil for a minute or two until fragrant. Add the chopped Romaine and give everything a stir.
- Add the salt, pepper, ground fennel and chicken broth and simmer everything for about 10 minutes.
- Mash 1/2 cup of the beans with the back of a fork and add them to the pot. Continue to simmer another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining cup of beans, stir and heat until everything is nice and warm. Stir in the basil. Serve garnished with the parmesan shavings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
How to Take a Food52-Style Photo
Those Instagrams aren't going to like themselves.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends
Genius, explained at last.
Books We Love
My New Roots, by Sarah Britton
Style with a breeze.