If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Late summer in Southern California still serves up relentless heat. So I'm always trying to create healthy dinners that don't require heating up the kitchen. Kale is a nutritional power house that is at the center of this healthy dinner salad. Mushrooms add a meaty component and the pretty pearl couscous adds color and texture. The Lacinto Kale is softer and more "lettuce like" but holds up well as a leftover for lunch the next day. I like to cut it fine so it soaks up the slightly sweet marinade. A slice of whole grain bread and a glass of wine make this a satisfying late summer dinner on the patio. - Barbara McGraw
- 12 ounces Pearl Couscous
- 2 bunches Lacinto Kale
- 3 ounces oyster mushrooms
- 6 ounces baby portobellos
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 ounces slivered toasted almonds
- salt and pepper
- Cook Pearl Couscous according to package instructions and set aside.
- Chop onions and saute in a little olive oil until soft.
- Meanwhile, cut tough ribs out of Lacinto Kale leaves by folding the leaf in half and running knife along side of rib to remove it. Roll up leaves two at a time and cut to get a fine shred.
- Place the shredded Lacinto Kale in a large salad bowl with the oil, rice wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and let it marinate while preparing other ingredients.
- Slice the mushrooms and add them to the sauteed onion. Add the sugar snap peas and toss for just a few minutes on medium heat.
- Add the cooked couscous to the cooked veggies and combine.
- Add the warm couscous and veggies to the salad bowl and toss with the kale.
- Assemble onto four plates and top with the slivered toasted almonds
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
La Dolce Vita
A sweet bite for a sweet life.
Italian Breakfast Buns
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Cereal = Dessert
The Daily Grind
Recipe of the Day