If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is fantastic as a side to grilled steak. Grilling the romaine lends a nice smokey flavor without much wilting to the leaves. After a slight charring, the leaves are chopped and then tossed with croutons and a rich dressing made from olive oil, fresh eggs, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Not quite a Cesar, but in the same ballpark. - Waverly
- 3 large fresh eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for brushing the lettuce
- 6 heads heart of romaine lettuce, rinsed and dried with paper towels
- 2 cups fresh croutons, made from slicing a baguette into cubes, tossing the cubes in olive oil, and toasting until golden brown...or bought at the store
- salt and freshly grated black pepper to taste
- MAKE THE DRESSING: This step can be done ahead of time. It makes about 2 cups, so you may have some left over. In a food processor, combine the eggs, garlic, slat, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. While the machine is running, slowly add the oil. When it is completely blended, pour the dressing into a bowl; cover; and refrigerate.
- GRILL THE ROMAINE HEARTS: Prepare a hot fire. Meanwhile, brush the hearts of romaine with olive oil to coat all sides. Season with salt and black pepper. When the fire is hot, place the lettuce directly over the coals. This goes quickly, so don't go anywhere. Grill the romaine until all sides are just charred, about 1 minute or so per side depending on your fire. Remove the lettuce from the grill and set aside to cool.
- TOSS AND SERVE: Trim the top of each head to make it even, about 1-inch. Holding the lettuce by the root end, chop the it into bite-sized pieces. Discard the root end. Place the lettuce into a serving bowl. Toss the lettuce with enough dressing to coat but not drown the leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fresh croutons on top and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
Just Like Mom Used To Make
Easygoing banana bread.
Easygoing banana bread.
Pasta e Fagioli
DIY Herb Rub
Vegetarian Ma Po Tofu
Go play outside!