If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I can’t get enough greens. I’m a salad addict. This is my all time favorite salad to make at home in the warmer months. I can eat it every single evening for 3 months straight and have done so repeatedly over the past 4 years. Recently I added shallots to my recipe which elevated the flavor to crazy new heights. You can leave out the shallots; heck you can even leave out most of the olive oil if you’re watching your fats and it’ll still be the most refreshing summer salad to pair with grilled proteins and a chilled glass of Pinot Grigio! - Brooklyn Salt
Makes 1 entree serving
- 1 large handful arugula
- 1 heaping cup thinly sliced fennel
- A few sprigs of fennel fronds, the spindly green things on the fennel stalks (if present…optional)
- Lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon, save the rind!)
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot (about 1/4 of a large shallot)
- Lemon zest (shave all yellow skin off the 1/2 lemon with microplane or smallest side of cheese grater)
- 1/2 teaspoon course salt
- 5 turns freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 piece chicken sausage
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly shaved Parmesan cheese (use a carrot peeler to shave the cheese off the block, or buy pre-shaved)
- Place arugula, sliced fennel and fennel fronds (if using) in a mixing bowl, set aside.
- In a small separate bowl add the lemon juice, minced shallot, lemon zest, salt and pepper; whisk and let sit.
- Place the chicken sausage in a small saucepan over high heat with enough water to submerge it by about a third and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 5 minutes, turn sausage and let boil for another 5 minutes. The water in the pan should be almost cooked off.
- Transfer the sausage to a cutting board, return the pan to the stove, lower the heat to medium and let the water cook off completely.
- Meanwhile, slice the sausage lengthwise and then in half moons about ½ inch thick. Add 1 teaspoon of the olive oil to the pan, swirl to coat and throw the sausage back in. Sear on both sides by jerking the pan every minute or so until all pieces are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes total. Turn off heat.
- Whisk the 2 remaining teaspoons of olive oil into the lemon juice mixture, plus any oil from the pan you cooked the sausage in (for extra flavor, optional). Once blended, drizzle suitable amount over salad right before serving (careful not to overdress, all leaves should be coated but not dripping and no extra dressing pooling at the bottom of the bowl).
- Toss gently, transfer salad and sausage to a serving bowl and top with desired amount of shaved Parmesan cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.