Author Notes: Not just tasty but also elegant and beautiful and should nicely decorate a holiday table. The white wine keeps the nice color of the cider and the cranberries make it festive and give it a pinkish hue. - Cordelia
Food52 Review: A more refined version of mulled cider, this punch also calls for an off-dry white wine and fresh cranberries. The cider is quickly steeped in spices -- cloves, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg -- before you add the wine and cranberries, which give the punch a light rosy hue. Cordelia's concoction goes down easy, so sip slowly if you can restrain yourself! - A&M - A&M
- 1/2 gallon apple cider (I have used unfiltered)
- 3/4 bottle of gewurztraminer (or other white wine which is not too dry, or you can use even semi sweet one like Muscat)
- 4-5 sticks of cinnamon
- 4-5 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nut meg
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 3-4 tablespoons honey (depends on how sweet the wine you're using)
- cup or so of fresh cranberrries (of cubes of apple if not in cranberry season)
- Put the cider and all spices in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When on low heat add the wine. Do not boil again so the alcohol won't evaporate too much, just let it warm.
- Add the cranberries and simmer for a few more minutes until they color the liquid a bit.
- Your Best Holiday Punch Contest Winner!