If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I just got my copy of Amanda Cohen's new graphic cookbook, Dirt Candy: A Cookbook (which I hope will make it into The Piglet this year – hint hint). If you like graphic novels, and you like cookbooks, and you like vegetables, then go and buy this book. It's full of all kinds of vegetable wisdom from the vegetable whisperer. But I'm not here to talk about vegetables. I'm talking croutons, people. In the book, one of the components Amanda uses for her salads are Grilled Cheese Croutons. It's a brilliant idea. Also, why haven't I ever thought of that before? It's like croutons to the power of TEN. I like my lettuces lightly dressed. Double the dressing recipe if you prefer your greens dripping with dressing. —mrslarkin
for the dressing:
- 1/4 of a medium-sized juicy lime, juiced
- 1 demitasse spoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 demitasse spoon of honey
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk the lime juice, mustard and honey. Drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until creamy. Taste. Whisk in more lime, mustard, honey or olive oil if desired. Set aside.
for the salad, use whatever lettuces and veggies you’ve got in the fridge. I used this:
- 2 handfuls of sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 small green garden pepper, sliced
- 1 small handful red grapes, halved
- A few cornichons, sliced lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 2 slices prosciutto, crisped in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes
- 1 sourdough grilled cheese sandwich
- Place salad, veggies and grapes in a bowl. Grind some salt and pepper over. Toss. Set aside.
- Make your grilled cheese. I like this one, without the sage: http://www.food52.com/recipes/11987_ode_to_the_caseus_cheese_truck
- Let the grilled cheese sandwich cool slightly before cutting into bite size pieces.
- Toss the salad with the dressing. Break up the prosciutto crisps on top. Add the grilled cheese croutons, and have at it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
These snacks are independent.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
49 new dinnerware pieces.
A handy saucepan.