Author Notes: Quinoa is a protein-packed whole grain that is deliciously versatile. I love quinoa salads and rolling it up in lettuce is just another way of enjoying them. - MizChef
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 small chile, minced
- 1 cup diced potato (purple, if you can find them, or Yukon gold)
- 1-1/2 cup diced calabaza or butternut squash
- 3/4 cups diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 12 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, diced
- After you rinse the quinoa, drain well. Heat a medium saucepan; add the quinoa and toast over medium heat until quinoa is dry and starts to brown. Pour in the vegetable broth or water; bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Fluff the quinoa and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add onion, red pepper, and chile and saute until vegetables have softened. Add the potato, squash, tomato, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well and continue cooking until all vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir frequently. Mix in the cilantro and remove from the heat.
- Cut the ribs from the lettuce leaves just until the point where you can roll them. Lay a lettuce leaf flat. Place 1 cup filling at the bottom end of the leaf and roll it up, tucking in the leaf as needed. Repeat with remaining crepes and filling. Place the rolls on a plate and garnish with the diced avocado.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce