If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I grew to love this salad for lunch with a hunk of crusty bread the first time I went to Lyon. Typical bistro food, nowhere is it prepared better than by my friend Jean-Paul Lacombe at Brasserie Léon de Lyon. It has “everything “ in it for a well-balanced light meal. The bitter greens play off the sweet bacon. The egg is soft and soothing. The croutons add extra crunch and zest. Add a glass of Beaujolais! - ChefJune
Makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 heads curly endive, rinsed & very well dried
- 1 bunch chives
- 3 small white onions, shallots or scallions cut into thin rings
- 1/3 pound pancetta or bacon, diced
- Croutons made of cubed French bread sautéed in the bacon pan
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup best quality red wine vinegar (I use Heinz)
- 6 eggs poached fairly firmly (so they're not runny)
- Tear the leaves of curly endive into bite sized pieces. Make sure all the greens are thoroughly dry, or your dressing will not adhere to them. Combine the endive, chives and onions in a large shallow salad bowl and toss
- Place the bacon in a frying pan and cook until crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Reserve the fat, and sauté the bread cubes in it. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Combine the oil and vinegar in a small jar or measuring cup. Shake to blend, or whip with a fork to produce an emulsion. Add 1 tsp. Dijon mustard to the oil, if you like, before adding the oil
- Just before serving, add the bacon and croutons to the greens. Pour the vinaigrette over, and toss thoroughly, to coat all the greens. Top each serving with a poached egg. Serve at once.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
Shine a Little Light
Candles for spring.
Let Them Shine
Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies
DIY Herb Rub
Easygoing banana bread.
Go play outside!