If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Jews like a lot of things. We like complaining. We like bagels. We like worrying, especially about things that we can’t control and/or don’t really matter. We like Ivy League schools and spending two hours to say goodbye. We like Chinese food on Christmas and matzah ball soup always. Another thing we like is symbolism. Oh boy do we! From apples and honey to the Seder plate, everything has a purpose. The pomegranate is another popular symbol especially around Rosh Hashanah. Since it is the Jew Year, we eat a new fruit that is recently in season. Also, they say that a pomegranates have 613 seeds much like the 613 commandments in the Torah. Now I counted, and I hate to be the barer of bad news, but mine had closer to 197. But what it lacked in seeds, it made up for in being an awesome component to a salad. - What Jew Wanna Eat
- 6-8 cups Arugula
- 1 Pomegranate
- 4 Dates, diced
- 1 Pear, cut into slices
- 8 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Honey
- 3 tablespoons Red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- First, cut the pomegranate into four pieces. You may want to do this over a cutting board or bowl as it will leak a bit.
- Then put the pieces in a bowl of cold water and pull out the seeds with your hands. The seeds will fall to the bottom and the schmutz will rise to the top!
- Then remove the schmutz and drain the water. Ta da!
- Now let’s make our dressing. In a small bowl whisk up minced garlic, lemon juice, honey, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Then slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking.
- And time to assemble the salad! Put the red onions with the arugula in a bowl and pour in about ¾ of the dressing. Reserve the rest for drizzling.
- Put a nice pile of arugula on 4 plates.
- Then top each with pears.
- Sprinkle on the dates, Gorgonzola cheese and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with more dressing and serve!
Recipe of the Day
A salad to loaf.
Recipe of the Day
Frozen dumplings the fearless way.
Treats for your beach bag.
Raise a (recycled) glass.