If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was in the mood for something comforting, yet smokey and summery - since we are still enjoying the warmth of summer here in California. This soup is light and silky with a touch of smoke; a celebration to the end of summer and warm enough for those who are starting to feel the cooler weather. Making a corn stock with the left over husks adds more fresh corn flavor. Coconut and shrimp sauce make this soup special. The shrimp are poached in the soup just before serving so they are sure to be plump and tender. —Kelly @SnailsView
- 4 ears of frech corn
- 12 medium, shell on shrimp
- 13.5 ounces (1 can) coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce (I like 3 crab brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated (squeeze out juice, discard pulp)
- chives, cilantro, shishimi to garnish
- FOR THE SMOKED CORN; Prepare a cook top smoker with hickory chips, place the corn on a piece of foil. Cover and smoke on low for 30 minutes, remove the corn from the smoker and set aside.
- FOR THE STOCK; Place all the ingredients in a medium size pan, bring to a boil then reduce to a low. Simmer the stock for 40 minutes and strain.
- TO FINISH THE SOUP; In a medium size pan, combine the stock (should be about 2 cups), coconut milk, smoked corn (reserve 1/2 cup for garnish), salt, fish sauce and ginger juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly, then pour into a blender and process until smooth. Pour through a fine strainer back into the pan, with a ladle, squeeze out as much juice as possible, discard the solids. Bring the strained soup with the shrimp slowly up to a simmer until the shrimp are just cooked through. Adjust the seasonings with more ginger or fish sauce to taste. Divide the soup and shrmip into 4 bowls, garnish with reserved corn, chopped chives, cilantro and a dash of Shishimi.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
More Great Recipes: Soups
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.