If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Scallops look like full moons. Blueberries are an unlikely spin, like blue moons. They are a serendipitous masterpiece. I made this again last night so I could take a photo for the contest. I made Toasted Whole Wheat Israeli Couscous with Shallots and Thyme to accompany the dish. The little al dente pearls, dressed in frizzled shallots, echoed the soft blueberry orbs -- textures and flavors in a prefect dance. My tongue did not want to stop tasting this dinner even though my belly was sure that it was full. —EatArt
- 1 1/2 pounds Sea Scallops
- 1 pint Blueberries
- 2 tablespoons Fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Butter (preferably European style)
- 1/4 cup Gin
- 1/4 cup Dry Vermouth
- Fleur de Sel, to taste
- Pink peppercorns, to taste
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Sliced shallot
- Melt 1 Tbsp of butter and olive oil over med-high heat. Add shallots, thyme leaves and pink peppercorns.
- Dry scallops well on tea towel.
- Sear scallops until caramelized on each side. Don't move them once you lay them down on the hot pan surface until they give you that beautiful brown carmel veil. Then flip them over and do the same on the other side. Just a couple of minutes. Watch carefully. Remove from pan when done and set aside.
- Deglaze pan with vermouth. Reduce to syrup. Deglaze again with gin. Reduce to syrup..
- Add blueberries and heat until they just start to burst. Add cream and thyme leaves and reduce by half. Add scallops back to pan to meld together. Tip onto a platter. Sprinkle with fleur de sel, and lemon zest. And serve more than once in a blue moon.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
Quick! Make these summery recipes while there's still time
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
This week's #happylist.
Storage made crystal clear.