If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every Friday night is 'Fish Fry Night' at my mother's house. It's a time for our family to come together, eat and unwind before the weekend really begins. There is always leftover fish and uncooked shrimp. The best way to utilize the leftovers is the next morning with grits and overeasy eggs.
Somewhere along the way, shrimp and grits became a gourmet dish on menus all across the Southeast United States. To me, it's a simple Saturday morning meal. —NikkiSnacks
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Bring milk and butter to a slow boil. Stir in grits with a whisk.
- Reduce the heat to the low and cook the grits until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. The grits should have the same consistency as oatmeal (moist, not dry). If the grits become too thick, add water to thin.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 pieces bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 pieces garlic cloves, minced
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crisp, then drain on a paper towel.
- Add mushrooms, the lemon juice, half-and-half, parsley and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or just until mushrooms release their moisture.
- Next, add the shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Pour the grits into a serving dish. Pour the shrimp mixture over the grits. Garnish with the bacon bits.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
Well, This is Appeeling
Tomato skins, meet salt
Tomato skins, meet salt.
This weekend's reading.
It's time to travel.
Out of the park toppings.
Put cake on a pedestal.