Author Notes: This isn't your standard Southern shrimp & grits. This recipe takes shrimp and grits to a completely different level because it's Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Hatch Green Chile Cheese Grits. With bacon, shrimp, cheese, corn and roasted chiles how can you possibly go wrong? You can't. If you never liked shrimp and grits before it's because you never tried it this way. - REMCooks
Bacon Wrapped, Cheese Stuffed Shrimp
- 1 pound Shrimp (15 & under count), peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 1/2 pound Asiago cheese
- 1 pound bacon, par cooked
- Prepare the shrimp.
- Slice Asiago cheese into strips to fit inside the butterflied shrimp. Using a microwave, par cook enough bacon to wrap around the shrimp. It will take 2/3 slice per shrimp, so you will have leftover scraps but that's OK because bacon is always good in anything. You want to par cook the bacon because it takes longer to cook the bacon than it does the shrimp. Without par cooking 1) the shrimp is overdone and chewy; or 2) the bacon is underdone.
- Place a strip of Asiago cheese in each shrimp.
- Wrap cheese stuffed shrimp with bacon. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Once the Hatch Green Chile Cheese Grits are cooked, heat a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. When hot add shrimp with loose end of bacon on bottom. This keeps the bacon from coming unwrapped.
- Cook 2 minutes to brown and crisp bacon and turn over. Cook another 2 minutes and remove from pan to a paper towel to drain.
- Remember, residual heat will continue to cook the shrimp so you want to move fast to plating once the shrimp is done.
Hatch Green Chile Cheese Grits
- 1.5 cups Regular Grits (NOT instant or quick grits, blech!)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5.25 cups water
- 1 tablespoon alt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups roasted Hatch green chile, minced (equals 1.3 lbs raw chiles but you still have to roast them)
- 1 cup Manchego cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, crushed
- Pour water and heavy cream into a large pot. Add salt and bring to a boil. Add grits to boiling liquid and decrease heat to low.
- Add oregano and cumin.
- Allow to cook on low heat for 30 – 40 minutes until grits become smooth and tender stirring frequently, roughly every 3 minutes until it begins to thicken and then the frequency increases. When grits are creamy, smooth and tender add Hatch green chiles.
- Stir to incorporate and add 2 Tbsp unsalted butter.
- Again, stir to incorporate and add 1 cup Manchego cheese and 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated.
- Stir to incorporate and melt cheese. Remove from heat, and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- When the shrimp has cooked, put 1 – 2 ladles of grits into middle of dinner plate and rotate to spread grits around the plate. Take 5 shrimp and arrange on the plate. Sprinkle chives over top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish