If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The trick to perfect crabcakes is two-fold: (1) don't use too much breading and (2) be gentle -- you don't want hockey pucks.
Oh, and use jumbo lump crabmeat. You'll be happy you did. Yum! - mamariz
Serves 4 for dinner, 12 for appetizers
- 1 pound lump crab meat, picked over carefully for shells
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise (I use Hellman's)
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 5-7 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1/4+ cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2+ cups Olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 1 handful flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 lemon
- Spread breadcrumbs on a plate or in a shallow dish and set aside. Saute onion and red peppers in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until tender. Let cool. In a large bowl, mix crabmeat, onion/pepper mixture, egg, mayonaise, Old Bay seasoning, Tabasco, mustard and juice of one lemon together. Gently fold in Ritz crackers and parsley. The mixture will be loose.
- Using a 1/2 cup measure (for entree-sized crab cakes) or a tablespoon (for appetizer-sized crab cakes), gently form patties. Dredge patties in breadcrumbs. Place on baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes -- preferably at least an hour if you have time.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet until hot but not smoking. In batches, fry crab cakes 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Do not crowd! Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm in a 250 degree oven until ready to serve. Serve with either cocktail sauce or (my favorite) homemade remoulade sauce and lemon slices. These are yummy for dinner with a green salad or burger-style on a toasted English Muffin with lettuce and remoulade sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
Your Favorite Items for a Wedding Registry
Wedding season approaches.
Wedding registry must haves.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wildcard Winner Recap
Do you haiku?