Author Notes: Creamed crab with a little kick makes for a nice light lunch or brunch for 3 or 4 depending on how you load the toast. And it actually makes a nice warm dip for crackers or veggies! - inpatskitchen
Serves 3 or 4
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons AP flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 thinly sliced green onion
- 8 ounces fresh pastuerized blue crab meat (lump or backfin)
- 3 or 4 slices of your favorite toast
- Sweet paprika for garnish
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour to form a light roux. Add 1/2 cup of the half and half and continue whisking until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, white pepper and cayenne. Whisk and then whisk in the rest of the half and half slowly.
- Once the mixture thickens again add the green onion and stir in the crab meat. heat until hot.
- To serve, ladle 1/4 to 1/3 of the crab mixture over each slice of toast. Sprinkle with a little paprika for garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish