Author Notes: A warm bowl of quinoa tossed in a spiced coconut milk sauce with veggies. Easy and delicious! - chai monkey
Makes 2 servings
- 1/2 cup dry, Quinoa or Inca Red Quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk, canned
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup diced carrot
- large handfuls baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- Combine chicken stock and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until soft and water is not at the bottom of the pan. Usually about 15 minutes. Steam chopped carrots in double boiler, about ¼ inch thick chopped, on the stovetop about six to eight minutes...In a medium pot and a steamer basket or colander. Fill the pot with enough water, once the water comes to a boil, add vegetables and place lid on top to cover.
- on a medium skillet heat sesame oil, white onion and garlic. After the onions begin to cook, add the coconut milk, grated ginger, spices and handful of chopped baby spinach.
- when quinoa is fluffy and cooked add to the skillet with steamed carrots, coconut milk and spiced vegetables.
- let the skillet with the combined ingredients simmer together, stirring. (if you wish, add pre-made sliced chicken)
- plate, and serve. enjoy!