If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: During my college years I worked part time at the local Kroger as a cashier. This particular store anchored a large strip mall which included a Woolworths, a JC Penney and much to everyone's satisfaction a Sanders store. Sanders was famous for their ice cream, sundaes, shakes and cakes and back then had a lunch counter that served fabulous food. When I worked on Saturdays all day I would go to Sanders for their fabulous vanilla milk shake and for their mushroom barley soup. I just loved the soup and here have tried to re-create it in all its simplicity. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 4 quarts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces medium button mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces boneless beef chuck cut into a small dice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery cut into a small dice
- 1 carrot cut into a small dice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick cooking pearl barley ( add an extra 1/2 cup for a thicker soup)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and then add the sliced mushrooms and saute until browned. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and add the diced beef. Cook until nice and brown.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme leaves, bay leaf and salt and pepper and continue to cook until the onion softens.
- Add the beef and chicken broth, bring up to a boil and then simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, adding the mushrooms at about the 20 minute mark. Add the barley and simmer another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Re season with salt and pepper if need be.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner That Makes a Good Lunch