If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: During a visit to Florence, we had as an appetizer coccoli con stracchino e prosciutto which is the beautiful Italian way of saying ham and cheese. This was no regular ham and cheese though. No! Coccoli are these incredible little salty, hot, olive oily balls of bread, and I can never quite get enough of them. They paired with a giant platter of these a plate of prosciutto and a bowl of melted stracchino, a terrific cheese with a great melt quality. In a casual yet highbrow way, you made your own mini ham-and-cheese sandwiches. I don’t like ham and I don’t love prosciutto but I gobbled these down like nobody's business.
I can't find stracchino near my home in the US so mixed taleggio and asiago fresco with wonderful results! Buon appetito! —em-i-lis
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 thick slices good country bread
- 2 large strips prosciutto (I used prosciutto di san daniele by principe)
- 2 ounces Taleggio
- 2 ounces Asiago fresco
- In a small, heavy-bottomed pot (I used a 1.5 quart Staub) set over medium-low heat (I used my simmer burner and had it on medium), put the cheeses and let cook until melted, lowering the temp if things in the pot get too active. You want it at a steady melt.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread and when they’re crispy and warm, put the prosciutto strips on each of two bread slices. On the other bread slices, spoon the melted cheese. Press the two sides of each sandwich together and enjoy immediately!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.
Is your cilantro contaminated?