If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a wonderful basic yellow cake from my great friend, Kathleen. Once you've had this cake, it will become your go-to birthday cake. It's easy and it's likely you have all the ingredients in your house, which means you can make it quickly upon discovering at noon one of your dinner guests is celebrating a birthday. —MrsWheelbarrow
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in sugar
- Add butter, milk and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 30 sec., then at medium speed for 2 minutes, then beat in eggs for 2 min.
- Divide batter into two 8" round pans, buttered and floured.
- Bake 30-35 min. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert and allow to cool completely.
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2-4 ounces melted chocolate
- 2/3 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons milk, as needed to achieve consistency
- Beat together all the ingredients and frost immediately. The frosting will set up in a few minutes.
The Best Thing since Sliced Bread
Crispy cheese has our hearts
We are in love—with this toast.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
It's in the bag.