If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe for double mushroom risotto is one of my most requested. It's appeal comes from the creamy texture of the arborio rice cooked slowly with mushrooms that have been prepared two ways. First, finely chop half the mushrooms in a food processor. These mushrooms are added to the risotto at the beginning of cooking and impart a ton of mushroom flavor. The remaining mushrooms are thinly sliced and sauteed in olive oil to be used as a garnish. Cooking the mushrooms in two different takes full advantage of their earthy flavor and unique texture. It's really a delicious take on a classic risotto dish. —JackieK
Serves 4 side dishes
- 1 1/4 cups mushrooms, cleaned and divided
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Puree 3/4 cup of the mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped. Thinly slice the remaining 1/2 cup mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat the broth in a pot over medium heat. Once it reaches a simmer decrease the heat to low and cover to hold warm.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep, wide pan over medium heat. Add the minced onions and cook, stirring until the onions become soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the chopped mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often, then mix in the arborio rice and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the wine and stir until the wine has been absorbed by the rice. Add one ladle of broth, about 1/2 cup, and stir every 30 seconds to 1 minute until all the broth has been absorbed. Continue this process until all the broth has been absorbed and a grain of rice pressed between two fingers separates into three pieces.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, thyme and 1/2 tablespoon butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet melt the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until the edges become lightly browned. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon the risotto in a large serving bowl or onto individual plates. Garnish with the sauteed mushrooms.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Risotto (Savory)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.