If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wish I could think of a sexier title for this drink, because it's balanced and delicious, and I would like to encourage you to try it. I made a batch of grape-thyme syrup this weekend, and then had help from a friend (who is both a cocktail guru and a gin enthusiast) in fashioning this drink. Mix the leftover grape syrup with seltzer and citrus for a healthy, sophisticated soda. - Cristina Sciarra
Food52 Review: With a delightfully delicious and super easy-to-make grape and thyme syrup, this cocktail is grape, err great! The lemon adds a necessary counterpart to the sweetness of the grapes, while the vinegar adds a touch of zing. The best thing about this cocktail is how impressive it is without any real effort. And the ingredients lend well to experimentation, so you can always add a bit more syrup and less lemon if you want something a bit sweeter. - figgypudding
Makes about 2 cups grape syrup; recipe for 1 cocktail
- 1 bunch Concord grapes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 cups water
- Rinse the grapes, and then add them to a medium-large pot, along with the thyme. Pour in the sugar, the pinch of salt, and the water. Turn the heat to medium low, and give everything a little stir to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Let the fruit cook slowly for about 30 minutes, or until the syrup coats the back of a spoon. Strain the grapes and thyme through a sieve, so just the syrup remains. Move the syrup into a glass or bottle, and then into the fridge until chilled. (You can make the syrup the night before; it will store in the fridge for about 5 days.)
- 2 teaspoons grape-thyme syrup, plus more for the glass
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white peach balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 dash lemon bitters
- Spread about a teaspoon of the grape-thyme syrup around the bottom of your glass.
- Add all of the ingredients to an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Shake, shake, shake, until the drink is thoroughly chilled. Pour the drink through a strainer, into the the syrup-prepared glass. Enjoy!
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.