If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kaiserschmarrn is a light, caramelized pancake made from a sweet batter baked or fried in butter. You can vary it with nuts, cherries, plums, apple jam or small pieces of apple, or raisins and chopped almonds.
Serves 4 to 6
For the Kaiserschmarrn
- • 1 1/2 cups red seedless grapes, washed and dried
- • 1 cup crème fraîche
- • 5 large eggs, separated
- • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted
- • Pinch of salt
- • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup cornstarch, sifted together
- • 2 tablespoons butter +1 tablespoon butter, melted
- • confectioners' sugar, for dusting
For the salad
- • 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- • 1 tablespoon Maple or Agave syrup
- • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 2 teaspoons of each, lemon zest and juice
- • 1 tablespoon fresh mint or basel, chopped
- • 1 cup white seedless grapes, halved lengthwise
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks; add a pinch of salt and then slowly the confectioners’ sugar. Continue beating until stiff and shiny.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until light yellow. Add crème fraîche and flour and cornstarch mixture, a little at a time to avoid lumps. Mix in zest and vanilla extract.
- Fold in egg whites. Let the batter rest for about 20 minutes. (This can be prepared up to 1 day in advance).
- Warm up a large frying pan (12 inches in diameter) and melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Gently stir the batter again, and pour into hot pan. Sprinkle the grapes evenly over the top. Cover the pan and let the pancake cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Flip over (you may have to cut it into several portions to flip). I slide carefully to a large platter and then, using large spatulas turn it over to the other side. Add the remaining melted tablespoon of butter and continue to cook. When it is browned, it is ready to serve.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve hot with the cool grape and crème fraîche salad. To make the salad: In a mixing bowl whisk first five ingredients; add the grapes and turn to coat and serve with the hot Kaiserschmarrn.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grapes
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.